Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge w/ Hemp Hearts
- 1 1/2 cups fine-ground cornmeal (8 ounces; 225g)
- One 13.5-ounce (400ml) can coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons of Hemp&fork Hemp Hearts
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces; 100g) light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (175ml) condensed milk, or to taste, plus more for drizzling (optional)
- Freshly grated nutmeg, or cinnamon to taste
In a medium bowl, stir cornmeal with 1 cup (235ml) room temperature water. Meanwhile, in a 3-quart saucepan or saucier, heat coconut milk, bay leaves, salt, and 3 1/3 cups (790ml) water over high heat until boiling. Whisk in cornmeal mixture with its water, then lower the heat to low to maintain a gentle simmer while avoiding spattering. Continue to cook, whisking frequently to prevent lumps, until cornmeal has thickened and cooked through, about 20 minutes; whisk in additional water as needed at any point if porridge becomes too thick.
Discard bay leaves. Whisk in brown sugar, vanilla, and, if desired, as much condensed milk as needed to reach your desired sweetness level. Season with freshly grated nutmeg to taste. If lumps form at any point, simply whisk vigorously to remove. Spoon porridge into bowls, drizzle with vegan condensed milk, if desired, and dust lightly with a final grating of nutmeg.
Sprinkle Hemp&fork Hemp Hearts on top or whisk in and serve right away.